You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates (see below) which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
Please note that if you are taking IELTS for UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) purposes then additional options (and rules) are applicable. Visit what is IELTS for UKVI for relevant information.
If you are not taking IELTS for UKVI purposes, there are only two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. Find out more information about test dates in Sierra Leone.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
Visit our office to book your place on the test. Candidates from outside of Sierra Leone, or those who are not able to visit the office in person, should contact us to make alternative arrangements for registration.
Please note that you will need ALL of the following documents when you register for your test:
- Two recent photos (passport size) that:
- have been taken within the past six months
- are taken against a plain background
- show the test taker with a neutral expression (no smiling) with mouth closed
- show the test taker without glasses (if you wear them)
- (Please be aware that your picture may appear on your Test Result Form)
- A photocopy of your identification document (your passport)
5. Pay for your test
SLL 2,147,000 for UKVI Academic & General test
SLL 1,986,000 for IELTS Academic & General test and
SLL 1,610,000 for Life Skill A1 & B1 test
1. You will need a reference number before making your payment. Your reference number is a 15 digit number that starts with [GH001] OR (S-GH001) that was generated on completion of your online application form
2. Please make your registration payment to:
Bank: Standard Chartered Bank, Lightfoot Boston Street in Freetown.
Account number: 0100100001600
Branch: Cline Town Branch, Chinese National Workshop, Bo Branch 4 Mattru Road and Makeni Branch Makeni Shopping Plaza
We accept payments into our bank account from the following:
• Direct deposit (using deposit slip) into the above named British Council bank account
3. To make any of the above payments you must quote your registration Reference Number in all reference fields that are available.
4. Cleared payment must be received within five days from the date of registration. For candidates making payments via bank deposit, it is prudent to plan for an extra day or two for processing payments. Deposits made on the fourth or fifth day after registration will not guarantee your preferred test date.
5. Failure to quote your registration reference number may delay your application process; this may lead to a change from your preferred test date or cancellation of your registration.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
6. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- We will send you a confirmation email four to five weeks before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address
For more information please contact us.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a Le500,000 administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. Please contact us for further details. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. Please contact us for further information.